Saturday 23 December 2017

Double Sarsparilla

Quick McGraw McGraw turns western bartender in this little cartoon between the cartoons on his show. Augie Doggie places his order—a double sarsaparilla sundae. Is sarsaparilla an old-timey thing? I’ve never heard anyone ordering it and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on a menu.



Anyway, here are a couple of in-betweens.



Quick Draw flings it down the bar. For whatever reason, Augie doesn’t even reach for it. The sundae flies off the end of the bar. We see suds.



Cut to Doggie Daddy. Nothing bothers him. “I was going to order tutti frutti, but this will do.” Fade out.



Don Patterson animated this bumper with backgrounds by Fernando Montealegre.

3 comments:

  1. You can still buy sarsaparilla soda in places where exotic sodas are sold. I bought a bottle of it in a little store in one of the German-settled Texas towns somewhere west of San Antonio. It tastes rather like root beer, sweet and tasty and likely to have appealed to kids back in the 19th century--which is why "sissies" are seen ordering it in westerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One such brand I am aware of is Sioux City Sarsaparilla, which is made by White Rock Beverages; I've seen it at the Hy-Vee in my "home patch" of Winona, MN.

      Delete
  2. That's how if we'd be in the Starbucks to ask for a frappuccino.

    ReplyDelete