After years, and years, and years of waiting, the Warner Archive Collection is finally able to get The Quick Draw McGraw Show on a home video format.
The company's Facebook page notes:
Each episode delivers the original triple-segment broadcast experience: the satirical Western antics of Quick Draw McGraw and his faithful sidekick Baby Looey [sic], the heart-warming domestic comedy of Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy, and the sharp-witted noir parodies of Snooper and Blabber.
Setting aside the typos and some of the rhetoric (I've never thought of Snooper as a "noir" parody; the artwork doesn't have that kind of atmosphere), this is amazing news.
You've read about the almost 20-year-long difficulties of getting these cartoons available. Elements were not in the best of shape. Clearing the Jack Shaindlin music and some of the other cues. And initial skittishness because the Huckleberry Hound DVDs didn't sell as well as expected.
At least this is what I was told by Earl Kress (and I believe he explained this on the GAC Forums back then) when he was doing some work to try to get the series out then. It's sad that he's not alive to see this happen.
The release says "all 45 episodes." Whether it's safe to assume the little cartoons between the cartoons will be included (or the Kellogg's commercials), I can't tell you. I would hope Greg Ehrbar would have George Feltenstein of the Warner Archive on his podcast to talk about this.
It doesn't appear there are any commentaries. However, there is a special featurette called "The Good, the Bad and the El-Kabong." It was on the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s Vol. 1 set.
Quick Draw is my favourite of all the Hanna-Barbera shows, and I hope Warners has done justice to these cartoons for the many fans who have been waiting for this.
Specs:
1080p HD MASTERS FROM 4K SCANS OF THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVES!
MSRP $39.98
6 BD-50
Running Time: Approx. 1050 minutes
COLOR
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Aspect Ratio: 16x9 1.33:1 with side mattes
Audio: DTS-HD MA 2.0 MONO
Oh, the release date. Silly me. It is September 29th.
Will you be buying this, Yowp? This is outstanding news!
ReplyDeleteI confess I don't have a BluRay player and my PC has problems reading external drives. But it's been at the top of my list for a long time to get when it comes out.
DeleteAs with all of us, I've been watching dubs with the Boomerang bug on them (with the exception of the Sat. AM DVDs which had some of the cartoons with the Hoyt Curtin cues). This should be far superior.