Saturday, 29 August 2026

Quick Draw Goes Postal

“The boys are givin’ me a hand with the mail this week,” says Quick Draw McGraw in one of short cartoons before the end credits of his show.

The gags aren’t terrific, but pleasant.



Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy are wrapping parcels. Somehow, Doggie Daddy wraps Augie in a package.



Snooper and Blabber are sending an airmail letter to Cactus Sam by rocket. But the rocket expectedly returns. “You forgot to put a stamp on the letter,” observes Blab.



The final gag is a Western cliché. Quick Draw gets a special delivery letter from Chief Little Runt, who appeared in Scat, Scout, Scat (Production J-5, 1959). The letter is in smoke signals. It reads: “Our next cartoon show is a special delivery of laughs.”



Cut to Baba. “And don’ts you forgets it, folks,” he reminds us.



It’s a month from today the Quick Draw Blu-ray will be available for purchase, and we hope the mini-cartoons like this (this one from a 16mm film in Steve Hanson’s collection) will be a part of it.

6 comments:

  1. Based off the teeth and the way their noses look, This bumper was animated by Lew Marshall. — Corbin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anything has been revealed on the matter of the interstitials yet, but I did hear that Warner's put effort into presenting the episodes "as they originally aired". Whether this only refers to the episode ordering, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the press release doesn’t mention the bridges, unlike the Huck and Magilla Gorilla show releases, I would love to be proven wrong. Based on what George has mentioned on the latest episode of The Extras, it looks like it is the show's opening, closing, and the segments.

    I enjoy the format of the interstitials of the host interacting with the supporting characters, as these were seldom seen. After the original run, the show's format was shredded to ribbons, and there wasn't an effort to preserve the bridges like there was for the main segments.

    As one who never grew up during the original run, it is a treat to see the original format for those that have survived.

    It irked me that with the exception of Quick Draw, all the classic H-B shows had a release. It makes me feel good that Quick Draw is no longer left behind in its treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't even an effort to archive them. Earl told me about the frustration of finding unlabelled reels when he went searching for material 20 years ago.
      I remember watching in 1966 and being annoyed that the opening and closings had been edited. It finally dawned on me they took out the Kellogg's references.

      Delete
    2. Growing up with those syndicated blocks in the aughts—like Snagglepuss, Snooper and Blabber, and Yogi Bear back-to-back, ending with the Worldvision logo—I was so used to them being separate series. It wasn't until the DVD releases that I realized Huckleberry Hound, Pixie and Dixie, and Yogi were actually part of the original half-hour shows. Seeing those reconstructed episodes was such a treat, especially watching the characters interact outside their usual shorts.

      While it’s fun to find isolated interstitials online, seeing them in their original context is much better. Still, I was thrilled when The Yogi Bear Show finally hit MeTV Toons with cleaner prints and new bridges. It’s hard to believe that after Quick Draw McGraw release was put on hold in 2009, the only option for a long time was the 1960s Saturday Morning Cartoons DVD. At best, we only got four interlaced episodes, and the audio sounded muffled—at least to me. I can finally retire that DVD, although I might keep it just for the packaging.

      Delete
    3. Mike Tiefenbacher30 August 2026 at 21:01

      I recall my eight-year-old funny-animal fan self yearning for actual cartoons featuring the Kellogg's gang of characters. Unlike Post's and General Mills' menageries, they looked at least as well-designed as the H-B characters (by Leo Burnett's agency) and as if they belonged in the same universe, and in the cartoons, they even shared Daws Butler voices (Snap, Sugar Pops Pete and Sunny the Sun) and Don Messick (Pop), with Dal McKinnon (who was also Tony Jr.) doing Crackle. We got to know Pete, the elves' and Tony and Little Tony's characters pretty much, but Smaxey was an animal seal who could walk on his flippers like some seals can be taught to do, never doing more than bark and whistle and hold a bowlful of cereal. and while I vaguely recall Cornelius the rooster speak in Andy Devine's voice, I'm not sure he had much motivation except to eat Corn Flakes and crow. I'm certain H-B could have conjured up a pretty good half hour with those eight characters--at least as entertaining as LINUS THE LION HEARTED. (Though they handled the Rice Krispies ads, of course, Snap, Crackle and Pop were created decades earlier. Burnett was responsible for both Toucan Sam and Dig 'Em, but they were five years later--but, perhaps triggered by the Post Cereal cartoon, might Kellogg's have been considering renewing their old contract with H-B for a show of their own--which would've included Sam?) And yes, it would've amounted to a half-hour commercial for Kellogg's cereal, but once Yogi, Huck, Quick Draw, Snagglepuss, Pixie, Dixie and Mr. Jinks were slapped on the boxes and became the commercial spokesmen for the line, what was the difference? I wonder why it never happened--because I know they had to have thought of it themselves.

      Delete