Credits: none. Written by Mike Maltese, Titles – Art Goble, Production Supervision – Howard Hanson.
Voice Cast: Quick Draw McGraw, Baba Looey, Paperboys, Mexican Man, Subway Conductor – Daws Butler; Narrator, Wily Witty, Elevator Operator – Don Messick; Mexican Woman, Lady Lavishly – Jean Vander Pyl.
Music: Hoyt Curtin.
First Aired: 1961-62 season.
Episode: Quick Draw McGraw Show M-045, Production J-126.
Plot: In the big city, El Kabong interrupts his vacation to capture Wily Witty, the jewel thief.
The West of Quick Draw McGraw is a strange land. It’s kind of like the Old West, but it’s not. There are steam locomotives, but there are modern (1959 model) jeeps. There are adobe haciendas but there are cities with modern (1959 model) skyscrapers. Somehow, it all works so you don’t really notice unless you think about it.
There were only new six Quick Draw cartoons in our hero’s final season of first-run shows. Three featured El Kabong, which perhaps gives you an idea how much Mike Maltese loved Quick Draw’s alter ego. Maltese tried to put a different spin on this one by plunking Quick Draw/El Kabong (for the only time) in a New York City-like metropolis. But there’s a lot that’s familiar, too. The bad guy has the same voice (by Don Messick) and similar character design as a bunch of bad guys in cartoons through the ‘60s (early Iwao Takamoto influence?). The cartoon opens with a poem expounding on life in El Pueblo. The narrator chats with the characters on screen. And the climactic scene reminds me of Baseball Bugs (also written by Maltese), where Bugs Bunny gets on a cab and a bus to chase after a fly ball. Here, El Kabong and Wily Witty clash with swords in a duel that takes then down an elevator and into a subway car, ending with a taxi ride (as you might expect, Baba Looey is somehow behind the wheel of the cab and drives the bad guy right into prison). Best of all, any on-lookers aren’t fazed by the fight in front of them. It is the big city, after all.
There are no credits on the various versions of this cartoon I’ve been able to see. Earlier on the blog, opinions were expressed by people who know this kind of thing better than I do that either Hicks Lokey or Harry Holt animated it. Whoever it is draws a lot of dialogue starting with the head looking forward, then raising it for a total of four positions.



As for character design, Lady Lavishly has a variation on the Wilma Flintstone bun.
And incidental characters have dots for eyes.
Some Maltese fun. Here’s the poem:
The town of El Pueblo was peaceful and calm.
Vanished forever was cause for alarm.
(Paperboy: “Extry, extra! Nothin’ but good news! Extry!”)
The town had been cleansed of villains and wrong
By the mysterious masked rider, El Kabong.
The most villainous villain was called Wily Witty.
From El Pueblo he came to work the big city.
After Quick Draw bumps into Witty in disguise:
Quick Draw: Garsh. I’m sure sorry, Don Juan.
Baba Looey: Say, Quickstraw. I theen that Don Juan look like Wily Witty, the jewel crooks.
Quick Draw: So what? Villains need vacations, too, you know.
Baba (to audience): With two weeks stolen pay, I theen.
During the ball:
Lavishly: Are you sure you’re not the real Don Juan? (giggles)
Witty: You dance divinely. Your feet barely touch the ground.
(cut to sight gag of Lavishly’s feet on top of Witty’s shoes).
Incidentally, Jean Vander Pyl lets out a great screech when Lady Lavishly notices her priceless Sultana pendant is gone. Messick's casual “What pendant?” is great, too.
Maltese or Hoyt Curtin or Bill Hanna sure loved the William Tell Overture. There’s a xylophone version of it which accompanies the sword scene. You’ll know much of the rest of the music from the Loopy, Touché and Wally cartoons, or the Flintstones, including that cue which ends with the minor key “Shave and a Haircut.”
Note: Only three Quick Draw McGraw title cards contained the words “Hanna-Barbera.” This is one of them.

Any reason why Quick Draw McGraw isn't on DVD like the other Hanna-Barbera collections?
ReplyDeleteAlso do you know what were the other 2 cartoons that went along with Quick Draw show?
Thanks, Lee
Hi, Lee. I'm not Yowp, but since I know the answer to both your questions, I'll take the liberty of replying. The other two segments of "The Quick Draw McGraw Show" were "Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy" and "Snooper and Blabber." Quick Draw McGraw isn't on DVD because of issues with music copyright ownership, and because Warner Bros. has had a hard time restoring the cartoons to their original condition. Hopefully, this will one day change and Quick Draw will be out on DVD, but I'm not optimistic. In the meantime, four Quick Draw cartoons have been released on DVD as part of Warner Bros.'s "Saturday Morning Cartoons" series. Occasionally, his cartoons may also be seen on the Boomerang channel. Last but not least, you can celebrate Quick Draw and his friends by reading Yowp's blog often. I myself have been reading it for about a year and know so much more about Hanna-Barbera now than I did a year ago. Kudos to Yowp for a job well done.
DeleteThanks for that very informative reply.
DeleteLee
It seems that the character design on this Quick Draw McGraw episode was made by Iwao Takamoto.
ReplyDeleteI also could notice in the Hoyt Curtin's music score from this Quick Draw McGraw episode, it's that, at the initial scene in which's shown the ficticious Mexican village of El Pueblo, appears being played in the background music, a swinging latin beat.
ReplyDeleteBecause of the unknown animator mystery due to lack of credits like in “Treasure Jest” (the Augie Doggie cartoon), Out of curiosity, I decided to check a bit of the episode for myself.
ReplyDeleteI have seen a bit of the ending (where Baba reacts to Quick Draw McGraw’s guitar playing, saying “I’m sorry i asked.” looking in confusion before the iris out after Quick Draw’s singing) to find out if this is Harry Holt or Hicks Lokey.. but based off what i saw:
This is Harry Holt’s work (Traits to consider: Harry Holt made the character’s look appealing, while also being on-model like Kenneth Muse, Hicks is noted for being inconsistent at times, I don’t see that here in this episode.)
I’m pretty sure he also did “The Mark of El Kabong”, as well (correct me if i’m wrong), he had a confirmed presence on “Party Pooper Pop” (Augie Doggie), plus with bonus confirmed work on “The Flintstones” as an animator.
I don’t know much about Harry Holt (besides the fact he’s credited on “Sleeping Beauty” and his work in Chicago before this) but if you have tidbits about Harry, Please don’t hesitate to share here. I have yet to see the whole episode, so i’ll drop my review when i get to see the whole thing for myself.
— Corbin
I suspect we'll end up getting the credits soon enough.
DeleteIt's a shame years ago Earl Kress didn't have the credit footage breakdown for all the cartoons.
Actually, I did find some stuff on Holt quite a number of years ago, after a comment by Howard Fein. If it never got published, I suspect it didn't talk about his HB career.
About what you said for the credit footage breakdown (which had Kress did, i would’ve loved to find out), It’s good that by now (ever since Warner Archive restored all the Huckleberry Hound show segments for it’s Blu-Ray release last year) the “Art Goble” opening credits as to who animated, or who did layouts & storyboarding are getting restored back to where it was. because back then, before this, they usually cut those credits for time purposes, and some of the cartoons have the wrong credits (it still remains so far with current prints of “Ice Box Raider” & “Yogi’s Pest Guest” when Warners put the wrong credits)
DeleteHarry was with Disney for many years before his first stint at the studio. (animating Donald Ducks & Pluto shorts) before heading to Chicago. Harry was happy with Hanna-Barbera, even Hanna-Barbera was always happy to have him when he returned in 1971. which shows how much they cared for their animators.
And “Judo Ex-Expert”, the Yakky cartoon he animated (which i forgot to mention) was one of my personal favorites for it’s gags (for it’s absurdity of why Yakky doesn’t need Chopper, yet Chopper’s strength helps Yakky flip Fibber every time he assists), while Yakky can’t do it on his own successfully.) Fibber Fox (I think we can all agree that Fibber one of the best characters on Yakky), his animation (especially how he drew Yakky), & the writing.
That said, I’ll drop off what the credits say when i get my hands on the upcoming Blu-Ray. I believe because the 1st season cartoons of the Quick Draw McGraw show segments already had the production credits intact, then there is a high chance this cartoon’s credits remains intact by it’s release.
— Corbin