Wednesday 8 October 2014

Mightor, Quick Draw and a Pair of Rangers

Time to clean out the old computer and post sundry Hanna-Barbera-related pictures corralled from various parts of the internet over the last few years. My apologies if any of these are yours and I haven’t credited you. Ardent fans have likely seen these posted elsewhere but it’s nice to look at them again. You can click on any of them to make them bigger.



I can’t say that I watched ‘The Mighty Mightor.’ It debuted at 11 a.m. on a Saturday morning in fall 1967 as part of a show called ‘Moby Dick.’ The idea of a crime-fighter whale (weren’t there “teen companions” on that one?) would have been too ridiculous even for 10-year-old me. I see the competition on the tube where I lived were ‘The Beatles,’ ‘Top Cat’ and ‘Spider Man.’ I probably watched ‘The Beatles’ if anything (‘George of the Jungle’ was the lead-in), though during baseball season, Dad took over the TV.

The drawing above is by Alex Toth and the date gives you an idea when the show may have been put into production.



My favourite H-B cartoon. I’ve rummaged through my head trying to think of an episode where Quick Draw was on roller skates. I can’t think of one off-hand, and the production number has me baffled (the Quick Draw show cartoons all started with “J”). Note: See the answer in the comment section.



Lovely drawing of El Kabong. My less-than-educated guess is it was for promotional purposes.



This sheet by Dick Bickenbach is dated almost ten months before “The Quick Draw McGraw Show” debuted. The show was in production by December 16, 1958, as that’s when Daily Variety reported production on it would be halted over the holidays.



A cel from the closing animation for “The Quick Draw McGraw Show.” There’s cycle animation of the characters riding the stagecoach but none of it contains a drawing where Baba has his feet together and Quick Draw’s whip has two loops under his hand. The closest I can find in the closing animation is when the stagecoach emerges from its little side-journey and rejoins the galloping horses that are supposed to be pulling it.





Two sheets of Ranger Smith. The top one is from after “The Yogi Bear Show” went on the air. The second one is from 1963, so I gather it’s for the Yogi Bear movie. The design hews closer to what Gene Hazelton et al were using in the Yogi Bear newspaper comics. It’s initialled by Alex Lovy.



Layout of Reddy. He seemed to have his fists up in a bunch of episodes, so I can’t guess which one this is from.



Yogi and Cindy have procreated in this 1962 drawing. If anyone knows the origin of this drawing, let me know.



I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this story sketch before. It’s from one of the cartoons-between-the-cartoons on “The Huckleberry Hound Show.”



More artwork from a cartoon-between-the-cartoons on “The Huckleberry Hound Show,” as best as I can tell.



And this neat drawing is by Gene Hazelton. Gene loved golf and lived adjacent to a golf course. Gene ended up being in charge of the Hanna-Barbera comic strips syndicated by McClatchy. He had worked with Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera at MGM (and Tex Avery as well) and also spent time in the 1940s at Disney and Warner Bros. Gene was respected and admired by his co-workers. Bravo for Gene.

There are probably a few more wayward drawings buried in old files. I’ll try to post them when I get a chance.

12 comments:

  1. The QDMcG on skates must have been for a show bumper, or commercial spot, since it was inked in b&w.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do know that these cels of Quick Draw on roller skates are from a commercial promoting Kellogg's Sugar Smacks.

      Delete
  2. I wondered about the former, but I don't recall any that had anyone else except the series characters in them. It could be a commercial. Scene 3 is pretty quick to have action like that it in for a cartoon short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the quick draw on roller skates was from a sugar pops commercial....i have a copy of it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheekbones (albeit it angular ones) were added to Ranger Smith's design for the movie, presumably because the fuller animation budgets allowed for more facial expressions. But for a harried been-there-done-that character, as he was original written, the earlier design worked better.

    If nothing else, the Moby Dick cartoon gave Michael Maltese and Tex Avery a great story to tell Joe Adamson for his book on Tex, and pretty much confirmed any disdain anyone ever had for Fred Silverman in terms of his tastes in programming (anyone who's read Mark Evanier's blog on his tales of Pink Lady & Jeff on NBC can easily see the mind who came up with that coming up with the idea of a crime-fighting whale and telling Hanna-Barbera to do something with it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if Iwao Takamoto had anything to do with the Smith redesign, looking at the eyes. It's interesting seeing how the lower half of Smith was completely reworked. I prefer the Bick version myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting these! This is a great treasure-trove of rare artwork.

    One thing seems odd--on the Quick Draw model sheet, it says "Treat hands as hoofs." Shouldn't it be the other way around? His hands are already drawn like hoofs...shouldn't it read "Treat hoofs as hands?"

    Love the El Kabong pose! I agree...it looks like a publicity pose rather than a still from one of the cartoons.

    I like both versions of the Ranger. It's great to see them in one place, to compare and contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll always prefer the older version of Ranger Smith. That version was funnier,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the fan of classic cartoons and comicbooks in popular media throughout the world.

      Delete
  8. It was only today that it seemed odd for Quick Draw McGraw to be driving a horse-drawn stagecoach. Has he ever ridden a horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the original series that I remember.

      Delete
    2. Classic action adventure fantasy science fiction animated series aired on CBS Network from 1967-69 for two seasons in reruns to Youtube Channel and in syndication worldwide.

      Delete