Wednesday 29 February 2012

A Lost Loopy De Loop Cartoon?

You’d think that because of the sheer volume of cartoons that Hanna-Barbera started pumping out, any story idea for a cartoon in an established series would end up on the screen. But that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Here’s a photocopy of a Loopy De Loop storyboard. The photocopy was in the possession of the late Earl Kress. I admit I’m not a fan of Loopy and haven’t seen all of his cartoons, but I can’t see that this story of Tony Benedict’s was ever made.

Columbia released Loopy to theatres beginning in November 1959. Seven cartoons were issued in the 1959-60 season, eight in the 1960-61. The production number on this cartoon was K-18, so that should have landed it in the 1961-62 season, but I can’t find it anywhere. It baffles me that it wouldn’t be made; Tony’s story is fairly typical for a Hanna-Barbera short made about this time—so typical, I can hear Doug Young as the cop—and seems no worse than any of Loopy’s other cartoons.

I fired off a note to Tony about the storyboard but he didn’t really have any information to pass on about it.

So, you Loopy fans can click on each panel to make it bigger and enjoy this “lost” Loopy De Loop cartoon. It’s a shame the notations on the first panels didn’t photocopy very well.













My thanks to Rick G. for e-mailing this. We all miss Earl greatly.

3 comments:

  1. So glad this is here to be shared with Yowpsters of all ages. Yes, it's a mystery short, perhaps one of your readers may know more. As you know, Earl produced and compiled the great Rhino CD's Hanna-Barbera Classics Volumes 1 and 2 (among others). I found a reel in Earl's storage unit that could be considered HB Classics Volume Three - the theme songs from the shows from 1971-1975. I've transfered that reel to CD and am working to break apart the tracks and add some annotation and make it available to people who appreciated Earl's hard preservation work. I'll keep you updated on what can be considered the last production job of Earl Kress. A few writing jobs are still forthcoming via Mark Evanier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot to sign that last post, I'm Rick Greene, the best friend of Earl's who found the Loopy photocopy and sent it to Yowp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't see why this never got made either - at least Loopy is happy at the end! Maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete